What tool should I use for market assessment and analysis?
This is a question that I've been asked in the field so I wanted to share it with everyone on KnowledgePoint
All existing market assessment and analysis tools and guidance rely on the same approach: the examination of certain commodities or services. What varies is the scope and depth of the assessment, which should be based on the objectives of the market analysis exercise.
It is important to pick the most appropriate tool for the kind of assessment you want to undertake and the depth of analysis you need to answer your questions (see Table 1.png).
When market assessment and analysis are solely implemented to determine the appropriateness of cash transfer programs (CTP), a light touch assessment usually suffices. When the size of the intended intervention is large compared to the local market, you may want to consider a more in depth analysis. The various tools and guidance you can use are:
1. Emergency Mapping Market Analysis (EMMA) EMMA provides guidance on selecting and analysing critical market system(s) post-shock to inform response options and market support from relief to recovery. It follows a 10-step process to prepare and conduct field work, and provides thorough explanations, detailed technical information on market concepts, and guidance for reporting response option recommendations.
2. Pre-Crisis Market Analysis (PCMA) PCMA explains how to analyse critical market systems before a predictable crisis to anticipate how markets will respond and to inform preparedness/DRR efforts. It includes step-by-step guidance on how to adapt the existing market and assessment processes to a pre-crisis context. It is an approach, not a complete toolkit, that should be used in conjunction with other tools.
3. Rapid Assessment for Market (RAM) RAM provides a quick snapshot of how key markets operate immediately following a shock to support initial decisions on response options’ feasibility and the need for a more detailed market system analysis. It includes a step-by-step guide of the market analysis process immediately after a shock. It helps to understand commodity demand, provides technical information on market concepts, and guidance on reporting.
4. Market Analysis Guidance (MAG) MAG offers processes and tools that aim to integrate market analysis into the various project cycle phases. It generates market information that can be used throughout the project cycle for decision-making (e.g. for contingency planning and preparedness, etc.). It includes technical information on market concepts, and guidance on reporting and price monitoring.
5. 48-Hour Assessment Tool It aims to obtain a quick understanding of the emergency food security and livelihood situation immediately after a rapid onset disaster to help design a rapid response. It can be used alone, or in conjunction with other assessment tools. It consists of an assessment form comprised of multiple questionnaires. Each form’s questions guide the user through the main topics that need to be covered in a step-by-step process.
6. Multisector Market Analysis (MSMA) MSMA helps practitioners investigate whether the affected target population can equitably and fairly access an expected amount of goods and services to meet the Multipurpose Cash Grant (MPG) programme’s objectives. It aims to support the Situation and Responses Analysis and Response Design ... (plus)
This thread is public, all members of KnowledgePoint can read this page.