We have been working on a project using a Community Based Management of Acute Malnutrition approach. Can you suggest some ideas of different innovative approaches we could try to improve the quality of the project?
This is a question that I've been asked in the field so I wanted to share it with everyone on KnowledgePoint
• One of innovative way that has been practiced in some of the African countries is, CMAM services is delivered as part of regular health services or as a combination of regular and emergency services. The services are integrated into the routine health systems which will enhance sustainability.
• Linking the CMAM program with other complementary services and programs – such as those promoting maternal, infant, and young child nutrition; micronutrient supplementation; water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH); HIV care and treatment; early childhood development (ECD); and livelihoods, agriculture, and food security. These complementary services have the potential to expand coverage and effectiveness.
• Caretakers of malnourished children may be referred to social safety net programs which will aim at improving the household's livelihood and food security status.
• Elements related to quality and effectiveness of programming should be reviewed and updated regularly for example enabling policy environment; sustained financing; a competent and responsive workforce; consistent stock of equipment; timely availability of supplies; supportive environment in which quality services are delivered; and information management systems to monitor implementation and make course correction where needed
• Lastly, the community component should be strong enough to mobilize, screen, refer, and follow up cases for early identification and management of malnourished cases.
Additional resources can be found on the following links:
Information-sharing to improve learning about community-based management of acute malnutrition (CMAM) and its impact: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...
Information-Sharing to Improve Learning about Community-Based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) and its Impact: https://www.researchgate.net/publicat...
This thread is public, all members of KnowledgePoint can read this page.